Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Elation, Money Makin', and Disney Celebratin'

(OK, that is a corny title.  You have to do that sometimes.)

I know I have mentioned on here several times how much I love having time off of school.  More so than the kids,who are the ones going to school, I love days off.  So you can imagine my sheer delight when, on Monday, we got notice via email that school was going to be let out of session early this year.  Yes, instead of going until the end of May, The Girl will be done with her second grade year on the 20th of May. 

Elated doesn't quite cover it. 

I was so hoping that I was going to be the one who got to break the news to her and the boy we carpool with.  I imagined a car full of hoops and hollers.  About 100 or so "Are you serious?"'s.   A car ride full of joy.  However, the rumor mill runs fast, and both kids had already heard the good news.  It was still fun to talk about it, though, even if it couldn't be me who gave the good news. 

I can hardly wait for the week I get to spend with The Girl.  The Little Man will still be in school (although, he only goes for 2.5 days a week), but I am praying that during those times when he is gone, she and I will have a sweet time of bonding.  It's been a while since we've had some time just she and I.

The Little Man gave me a few giggles as he came up with some "good ideas" the other day.  Recently we've had to establish a "No read, No TV" rule in our home.  You know how much I love the tube and the kids do too, but The Little Man has gotten a little unbalanced with his screen time.  So right now, there is no TV unless he has done some reading.  As you may imagine, this new rule was not warmly accepted. 

p: I have a good idea!
me: Really, what is it?
p: You know how I don't like to read that much, right?
me: Oh, bud, you like to read.  You're just being a stinker about it.
p: Well, I would like it a lot more if maybe you could pay me a quarter for every book I read.

Nice try, but not going to happen.

Besides avoiding reading, The Little Man has been talking a lot about going to Disney World. 

It's probably all the commercials he's been watching.

Somehow he got it into his mind that the reason we aren't going is because there is some sort of time issue holding us up.

p: Mom, I have a good idea!
me: Really?
p: Yea, you know how we are going to go on Summer Break soon?
me: Yup, just a few weeks left of school and we are on break!
p: That's when we should go to Disney World!
me: What?
p: Yea.  Because if we go on Summer Break, we don't have to worry about getting back to school anytime soon.  We can stay as long as we need to have the most fun we can have.
me: What?
p: Yea.  You know how we always have to go from places because we have school to get back to.  Well, if we are on Summer Break we don't have to worry about that because we don't have school for a long time.  We can just stay there however long we want and do everything we ever wanted!  Wouldn't that be great!
me: That does sound like fun, but we would have to pay for all those days we were there.  We can't stay all those days for free, right?
p: Yea, but that's fine.  At least we wouldn't have to leave.

As much as I would love to run away to Disney World, somehow I think there is a kink in that plan of his.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Haha to be a kid again and not have to worry about money. So freeing.