Wednesday, April 13, 2011

All Things Mouth Related

I was kind of joking when I said in my last post that at least the Scripture Memory posts would bring me back to the blog two times a month.  The "writer's block" is fierce.

Much to my disappointment, The Little Man's tooth fell out over the weekend.  He could not be more thrilled.  I think The Hubs pulled it out since it had become so loose that it seemed like it could fall out at any moment, and maybe get swallowed or choked on.  He won't admit it, though, and is blaming the floss.  He knows that these types of things break my mommy heart.  Somehow, The Little man has made it possible to weave the fact that he has lost a tooth into most conversations.  He also has a few more loose teeth waiting to come out, and talks about those quite frequently as well.  It's quite cute to see him so excited about this new stage in his life, and to worry about things like if he can and should still use a straw.  I think it changes his whole look and am so incredibly thankful that I got to take him out for pictures just mere hours before the tooth "fell" out while flossing.

Meanwhile, in my mouth I had a few teeth that were awaiting some work.  On Monday, I had gum grafting done on two of my teeth.   Basically, I had two molars on opposite sides of my lower jaw that had some recession of my gum tissue.  Before you get all weird on me and think that I don't take care of my teeth, don't.   I was told that my gum recession looked genetic since there were no other signs that pointed to something different.  Anywho, a gum graft is when they cut tissue off the roof of your mouth (the donor area), cut the gums off around your teeth, peel them down, stitch the donor tissue on and then stitch the gum tissue back over that. *Shiver*

If you feel like you want to crawl up into a ball and freak out after reading that, well, you are not alone.  In fact, when the dentist told me I needed to have this procedure about a year ago, and after she told me how the procedure worked, I promptly crumpled up the prescription/referral note, threw it in the trash, and pretended that she never even mentioned it.  Unfortunately, when I went to the dentist last month (see I visit the dentist every six months) she noticed that I had done nothing. Dern.  She also noticed that the recession was getting worse.  Unfortunately, when you ignore your receding gums, not only do you expose the nerves/root of the tooth, but the tooth can fall out. 

You know I asked which hurt worse, the surgery or losing the tooth.

I don't think she much appreciated that question. 

I think as a dentist she has taken an oath to do her best to save all teeth.  You know like doctors take oaths to preserve all life.

Maybe?

Anyway, she didn't recommend that I just wait for the teeth to fall out.  (Even though they were so far back in my mouth that I don't think anyone would notice they were gone.)

So off to oral surgery I went.  I have to say, I had a GREAT periodontist (that's a gum doctor).  He was super gentle and very kind.  He HAS to know that people come into his office shaking in their boots. Also, the surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  In fact the surgery itself was totally fine, I was drugged up enough to barely notice what was going on.  As the numbing medication and pain meds have wore off, I will say my mouth has been tender, but not unbearable.  Considering I have around 20-25 stitches in my mouth, I would say I am pretty comfortable.  Also, I have some swelling in the face, which I thought was totally noticeable, but found out today that hardly anyone could tell.  I would like to think that I now have the freedom to gain about 20 pounds in the face area, and no one would be the wiser.  Which leads me to my diet.

As you can imagine, this type of surgery alters your diet a bit.  What I thought would be a great time of eating milkshakes and smoothies  all day everyday has actually turned a little tiresome.  Considering I still have the stitches for about 7 more days, I really need to figure out how to get over getting tired of pureed food.

Mostly, I just have a really bad case of wanting what you can't have.  I am certain when the stitches come out, I will look back at these days with a longing desire to eat only milkshakes and smoothies again.

I guess that's how I roll sometimes.  The grass is always greener...

So while some of us are highly anticipating our teeth falling out and getting money from the Tooth Fairy, others of us are going to great lengths to make sure our teeth stay put.

Life takes us on funny little twists and turns.

1 comment:

Tara said...

OMG, Savannah would be so jealous! Your son and Savannah are a mere, what? day apart? And Savannah doesn't even have one single loose tooth, despite her yanking on them every 3 minutes. And she's the shortest kid in kindergarten, although she doesn't seem to notice that (I attended her spring performance today. Shortest one, hands down).