Saturday, September 18, 2010

Driving, and Luches, and Volunteer Time Oh My!

Just so we're clear, it's not for lack of material that I am not blogging very often.  Oh, no.  It most certainly is not.  What I thought was an all time low for number of posts per month, is now going to become even lower I fear.  While there is plenty to chat about here on the o'l blog, there just isn't much time to chat.

I'm sure you knew that by now.  I however, am still flabbergasted day in and day out at the amount of busy that is my life.  And really?  There isn't too much to show for it.

Sad.

The Hubs and I started noticing something with my car lately.  It seemed as though, we were constantly filling it with gas.  And by constantly, I mean once a week. 

Because I am quite the world traveler. 

Usually, a tank will get me two to two and a half weeks.  Everything I need is within a five mile radius.  While some might call that boring or maybe feeling trapped in, I call it blessed.  I love that everything is so close and there is little opportunity for me to have to fight off traffic to get to where I need to be.  Another word I would use: convenient.

Lately, however, I have been quite the traveler.  Unfortunately, it's primarily all been done in that same five mile radius.  Having two kids in two different schools and on two different schedules equals more car time.  Add to that errands, errands, a few activities, appointments, and then a few more errands and BOOM, there you have it.  I feel like I am never out of the car some days. 

I always thought that when the kids were in school I would have all this time that I would have to fill.  I thought maybe I would go back to work (Doing what, I have no idea because what I wouldn't be doing is teaching.  How people are able to be parents and teachers at the same time BLOWS MY MIND.  That's a whole lot of "kid" in one day.  The thought of picking up the ol' lesson planner gives me the willies.  Of course, there is always Been Blessed (at least that is what the plan was), but WOW! Running your own business takes a TON of time.  Especially when said business is run exclusively by yourself.).   However, what I am finding, at least right now, is that when your kids are in school, you don't have more time, you have less time. It feels much more busy now than it ever has.

So what are we spending our time on?  Well, as most mom's of school aged children will say, it's a lot of little things that add up to a whole bunch of time.  Things like:

1. Driving.  If your kids don't go to a neighborhood school or are attending a preschool, where there is no bus service provided, you are taking your sweet little cherubs to and from school.  Everyday.  Since The Girl's school is a charter school, no one takes the bus.  Everyone is driven to school.  That means there is a carpool lane.  That wraps around the entire school and neighboring neighborhood.  And you must wait your turn in it. 

2.  Lunches and snacks.  Yes, The Girl's school does provide a hot lunch everyday, however, they are not that affordable, and the quality of food is only so-so.  So while she does order lunch about once a week, there are all the other days of the week that we must pack.  The Little Man's pre-school does not provide lunch at all.  He must pack everyday.  And don't forget the snacks and the water bottles!  OH! and The Little Man?  Yes, my sweet little boy.  He will not touch lunch or snack if he thinks it has gotten too hot in his lunch box (honestly, I can't say I don't blame him.  The thought of a warm turkey sandwich with mayo on it makes me want to gag, too).  So, we have ice packs for all lunch boxes and snack packs.  Once we ensure that everyone will have a lunch and snack that will both a) stay the proper temperature and b) not leak all over everything (remember the water bottles!) we are ready roll.

3. Homework.  I really don't need to write too much here do I?  Honestly, the amount of homework given to kids these days is a bit ridiculous.  Maybe it's just me?  Being a former teacher, I do understand the value of homework.  Really, I do.  However.  The Girl is only seven, and just like all humans, she will only be seven for one year.  I don't know.  I just think she should be able to come home and play a few days a week.  I will say a few things, though.  First, the amount of homework really isn't too bad about 90% of the time.  Second, we are getting into a better routine and having a better attitude about it which is about 95% of the battle.  



Secondly, on Thursday, The Girl brought home an invitation she had gotten from the Math club at school.  Apparently, they would like to put together Math teams from grades 2-6 and participate in a Math competition at the end of the year.  She was invited to join the team.  Of course, I was very proud of her and excited at the thought of her doing something extra curricular that would boost her self confidence.  She didn't feel the same way.  At all.

I think her exact words were, "I think this is about the dumbest thing they could have ever asked me to do!  I would never want to do anything like this ever in my whole life!  What are they thinking!?!"

I still have the invitation. 

Clearly, I cannot (and should not) force her to do anything that she feels that strongly about, but on the other hand, I really think it would be so good for her.

I really have to start wrapping my head (and heart) around the fact that just because someone is really good at something doesn't mean that they like doing it.

4.  Volunteer time.  Right now, my volunteer time is at a minimum.  And, yes, I feel like a major slacker.  I do get into the school, though, and I will be doing more in the next few weeks ahead.  For some reason, right now, an hour a week feels like I am donating half my day.  And that is just for The Girl's school.  When The Little Man's school even looks like they are coming after me looking for a volunteer, I panic and run.  Sad, I know.  I have rationalized though that it is just pre-school *ahem* Jr K, and we will only be at that school for one year.

5. Speaking of running and school, the other thing that is sucking the life out of me taking up large amounts of time is running.  While the kids are in school, and I am not running away from volunteering,  I am still running, but for another reason.  I signed up to run another half marathon in October.  I know.  What was I thinking?  I don't really think I was thinking at all, actually.  I think I went crazy for a little bit, and got all swept up in the fact that I knew quite a few people that were running the same race, the fact that it was the inaugural race for our city for this particular series of races, and that since I have already raced in this series this year, I will be getting a special medal.  Because at the end of the day, it is all about the medal.  *ahem*  I keep telling myself that this is the last big race I am doing for a VERY long time.   Of course, I think I was saying the same thing, at about the same point in training, for the last one.  But this time I am SERIOUS.  I mean it.  Really.

I have lots of lunches, homework, driving, and volunteer time I need to be focusing on.

And maybe some more consistent blogging.

No comments: