Friday, May 28, 2010

In Case You Thought I Forgot Again {Project Two Times Twelve}

I didn't! In fact I took these pictures shortly after the last ones were taken. In all my outdoor picture taking frustration, I've had the kids outdoors a few times. This month I was all about yummy back lighting with a slight bit of haze, and if I could catch a little bit of sun flare, well then, all the better.

I'm sure that all means nothing to you.

That's OK. It barely means anything to me either.

I am still struggling with these three techniques, but I love them so much, I can't stop trying. I am completely addicted, and I am hoping to perfect it by December.

With all that being said, I only have a few shots this month because I was more miss than hit. I will also say, that these are still a far cry from what I would like to see eventually, but it's where I am this month. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not only documenting my kids this year, but also my growth as a photographer.

So!

Here we go:

Probably one of my favorites of The Girl in a long time. In fact, since this edited version, I have worked on the editing of this image a few more times. Maybe, I'll share again another version. I love the hand placement, the facial expression, and the back light. I don't love the bright spot on the brim of her hat, and also, because I was being impatient, the sun is still too high in the sky for the yummy light I was hoping for, thus, the haze is WAY too strong.


The Little Man is next. Again cute expression and natural pose, which for me, is a plus. I am not going for the posed, but more natural with this Two Time Twelve challenge. I was playing with using a reflector in this one, and I think it makes the front lighting look a bit unnatural. Plus, like the first image, I am too impatient here and the lighting and haze is still a bit harsh.


Here's a cute interaction. I could say the same for this image as I have said about the above two.

But I won't.

Because that gets boring.

Just know I feel the same.



Lesson learned: Be patient for the perfect light. The sun should be LOW in the sky, and ditch the reflector, but keep the kids. They're cute.

Here's an example of what I am working towards. Although he's not mine (well, kind of. He is my nephew.)


I love the warmth of these! Can you see the difference in waiting another hour or so for the sun?


I am glad I've had some success here, now to apply it to my own kids.

No comments: