Sunday, November 29, 2009

I Did This To Myself, You Know.

Last year, I wanted to do something really special for my Mom and Mother-in-Law for Christmas. Knowing how much they love my blog, and wanting to please probably the only audience I have, I decided to turn my blog into a book. You know, just in case they wanted to jump into imperfection and total chaos at any given moment.

Well, they LOVED them. It made my heart so happy to see them so happy about this gift.

Also, I felt a bit relieved because, hello, how humiliating would it be if they would have opened the gift, and then said, "Hmmm, well isn't this interesting?"

Turning the blog into a book, though? My, oh my! It was a chore indeed! I can't say I particularly enjoyed it. I think I may have said a few times, "If they don't LOVE this book, I am taking it RIGHT BACK!"

Ya, because it is so returnable.

Anywho, I posted a little something about the freedom I felt when the whole thing was over, here.

So, to say I never want to do that again, is a huge understatement.

However.

However, my Mom and my Mother-in-Law LOVED them. Heck, after all that work, I ordered one for myself, and I LOVED it. The thought of my kids pouring over the pages in that book one day as they feed/soothe/rock/parent their young children brings tears to my eyes.

(Hello, children! If you are currently doing what I just said in the above paragraph, just know that I am bawling my eyes out with joy somewhere.)

This past weekend, I knew I had to get this task done. Considering it took my almost TWO FULL WEEKS to do it last year, I was actually almost running a bit behind. Thankfully, our Thanksgiving weekend this year was so mellow, so calm, so lovely I felt like I could tackle this task with somewhat on somewhat of an even keel.

Well, I can no longer bash Blurb or Blogger. They have completely redeemed themselves from the problems that plagued them at this time last year. What took me TWO FULL WEEKS to do last year, only took me FIVE HOURS. Half a day, really. CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE MY JOY.

The happiness is so big, it is difficult to contain. That is why, I had to share this here.

If say, perhaps, someone other than my mother or mother-in-law are reading this blog, and lets just say, they have a blog too. Can I urge you to do the same thing? It is super easy. It makes a great gift, not only to whom you are giving it to this year, but to who will be reading it in years to come.

I love having this blog. I love reviewing it from time to time. I know I think that this life is so happy, so fun, so hard, so crazy, so messy that I will never forget it, but low and behold, I do.

Thankfully, now, I can pull a snip-it of my life off the shelf whenever I want.

P.S. Mom and Mother-in-Law, sorry if post ruined your Christmas day surprise, but I figured that you probably knew anyway. Also, the same terms that applied last year, apply this year. Just because it only took a fraction of the time to put this together, does not mean you will not find spelling, grammar, punctuation errors. In general, there could be spots in the books where it is messy and totally imperfect. The good news: The book, and all it's mess, is true to life.

No comments: