Tuesday, November 24, 2009

For Goodness Sakes, Don't be Boring!

Recently, The Girl and I were delivering a meal to a friend who had lost a loved one. She had to leave her hubby behind with two of their children, and we thought that her hubby and children would benefit from a meal.

Honestly, I volunteered to bring over the meal, and then kind of spaced it out (sorry, friend!).

If you could get a small glimpse into my life (and some of you already do), you would understand that this behavior is totally typical of me these days.

The day that I had signed up to bring a meal on came, and THANKFULLY I remembered.

However.

However, it was kind of late in the day, and I wasn't sure what I could whip up in time to get it there by dinner. All my meats were still frozen, and because I had to go to the grocery store for myself, I didn't want to make two different trips to pick something up fresh and then return back later.

Self-focus can be a serious issue for me.

I thought about just picking up some sort of take and bake pizza or a prepared meal from Costco (sorry, friend.). Then! Then I remembered that I had some yummy potato chowder in our freezer that I had made when we harvested a bunch of veggies from our garden and from a field trip that The Girl had gone on to a farm where we could load up on fresh veggies. I thought, "Hey! I can bring this soup, buy a fresh salad, and some yummy fresh bread, and bibbity boppity boo, you have diner!" It wasn't much, but it would totally work.

OK, so I didn't really say bibbity boppity boo, but you get the picture.

I took The Girl along with me to go grocery shopping, drop off the meal, and then run a quick errand. She was getting frustrated with how long everything was taking and just wanted to get home already. That's when I decided to take the time to teach The Girl a small little lesson.

I told her about how Jesus was talking to his disciples, and He was telling them to go out and help others who are in need. I told her the reason why we help others who are in need is because God's Word says, "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." I further explained what that means for us today.

She thought about it for about ten seconds and then promptly exclaimed, "Well then, let's not be boring!"

"What?" I asked because I wasn't sure what she was getting at, or if she even understood what I was trying to explain to her.

"Well, if by serving others we serve Jesus, I definitely don't want to do something boring."

Yes, she got it, and as I pondered the boring-ness of my potato chowder that I threw together at the last minute because of a little self-absorption, I wondered who was teaching who.

Thank you, Lord, for this little girl.

1 comment:

Meg said...

awesome! fyi, according to the hubby, the potato chowder was anything but boring...=)