Monday, November 9, 2009

Guess What We Did!

We surprised the kids with a trip to Disneyland!

For the next few posts, I will be re-capping our adventure for my mommy-heart, so if that isn't your bag, come back later. I am sure I'll resume my random rambling shortly. For now, I do feel like I want to document this trip because it was very special. And because I don't want to forget the small details that melted my heart. Here's how it all started:

I had been wanting to take the kids to Disney for close to a year now. I just felt like the time for the kids to feel like it was "Magic" was coming close to an end. The Girl had already decided she wasn't that into princesses anymore claiming that they were "for babies". However, The Little Man was getting more and more into Star Wars, Monsters Inc., Toy Story, Cars, Mickey, and all things Disney. I really wanted make sure we made it there in time to see him light up with excitement as he saw all these things come to life. I knew The Girl would have a great time too, despite her lack of enthusiasm for princesses.

As we tried to make plans for the trip, stuff kept coming up. We would talk about a trip, but soon enough, there was something that would keep us from going. When it finally looked like we might be able to pull the trip off, I got nervous about telling the kids because I didn't want to disappoint them if it had to be canceled or re-arranged again. That's when we decided it might be fun to surprise them. Do you remember when we did that before? I loved surprising them with our Durango trip!

Coincidentally enough, sometime around the beginning of the summer, the kids started talking non-stop about what it would be like to go to Disneyland. The Little Man kept saying, "I really want to go to Disney. I've been before, but I was a baby and I don't remember. I want to go as a big boy so I'll never forget." That went along with, "Can I please go to Disney as a big boy?" As well as when you would ask him what he wanted to do this weekend/for Fall Break/for a special day, he would say, "I think we should go to Disney."

Disney was on the brain.

The Girl did nothing but encourage the obsession. She would tell him all about when we had gone before, how she met all the princesses, and the fun times she had on all the different rides. By the way they always talked about it, you would have thought they were totally in-the-know on the whole trip, and were just so super excited that they couldn't stop talking about it. Alas, we did keep it a big surprise until the very end.

We decided that we would tell them what we were doing when we picked The Girl up from school the day we were leaving. At that point, we would blindfold the kids and put on our Mickey Ears. When they took off their blindfolds, they would have to guess (based on the Ears) what we were going to do for the rest of the day. Thankfully, my mom was able to video tape the whole thing.

I am so happy I have this priceless gem:

1 comment:

Amy said...

i've seen this a couple times...so awesome! i can't wait to hear more about the trip!