Saturday, September 7, 2013

Catching Our Breath

What can I say?  There has been tons going on in the Wright household.  All of a sudden, we went from Summertime, to the beginning of the school year, and on through the first week of September.  The official end of summer, Labor Day, has come and gone.  I can barely type this, but some of the trees have leaves that are attempting to change color.  I think that is premature if you ask me, but there's always going to be those "Fall Fanatic" types.  You know, people who start talking about sweaters, everything pumpkin, and chilly weather as soon as the calendar flips from August to September.  I guess even the tree world has some of those.  I know you know where I stand on that. 

*Ahem*

First up,  the big news around here: I got a part time job!  I know.  Crazy doesn't really cover it adequately.   I have been substitute teaching for the past two years, and slowly God was preparing my heart to get back into my own classroom.  About two weeks ago, a friend of mine called up and told me about a part-time position at the school she teaches at.  While I had been looking for a part-time teaching job, teaching at a school outside of my own children's school, seemed out of the question.  Transportation was the big concern, with a side of dismissal time conflicts.  I was super bummed out because I really felt like God was asking me to get back into the classroom again, He had completely changed my heart towards teaching again (I had swore never to return to the elementary classroom), but I couldn't figure out a way to make it work.  Turns out, I didn't have to figure anything out.  I just had to wait on Him.  He provided the perfect job with the perfect hours.  I am now teaching a third/fourth grade combined science class.  I love the age, the curriculum, and the subject.  I love that I am home to take my kids to school and pick them up, that I can plan and grade while they are at school, (meaning I'm available to them while they are home) and I love that I'm teaching one subject only.  Something I learned about myself when I taught a year at the high school level, was I appreciated a less diverse day.  The kids provide plenty of diversity for me.   Having a solid, unrivaled focus in regards to the teaching material, lets me connect with the kids in a way that works better for me.  I'm very thankful, and at awe at the way my Shepherd always leads me in the direction that is in my best interest.

Also, we had the pleasure of replacing our dishwasher.  Our stove also went out this summer, so it looks like we might be at the end of our appliances' lives.  We all know that these things happen, but since we have been considering a move, it makes the decision on what to replace the appliance with a little more difficult.  We don't want to spend more money than we have to if we aren't going to stay.  However, since we change our minds about moving about every other day, I also want to get something that we like. 

At the same time I was getting used to my new life as a part-time teacher (Which by the way I only had three days to get used to.  Yes. Three.), The Little Man got sick for four days.  Yes.  School is back in session and so are the days of colds and other gross things.  This particular illness kept both of us up through out the entire night for two nights in those four days.  Just when he thought he was doing better, he'd go down again for another round.  It was rough. 

Also, nothing says, "Welcome back to school!" better than a little Girl Bullying.  Awesome.  This was one of those times that I was so thankful for The Hubs.  I mean I lost all rational thinking for a small amount of time and went straight into emotional decision making mode.  I love it when I do that.  Thankfully, The Hubs stepped in and snapped me back into reality, and we were able to meet up with principals and counselors and get things situated without too much damage.  Prayerfully.  

So as I plan science experiments, sign off on homework assignments (my kids as well as my students), shuttle kids back and forth between activities, listen carefully about all sorts of recess antics, and stick to a strict bedtime routine, I think I can officially say our long, lazy, summer days are but a small speck in the rear view mirror. 

No comments: