Saturday, May 25, 2013

Small Talk

Recently heard in conversations in our home:

As I looked over at The Little Man's place mat, I notice a very large mess.  Especially when you consider the smallness of what was eaten.  Just one cookie.  That was it.  I called The Little Man into the kitchen, jumping on the opportunity to teach neat eating habits and cleaning up after yourself.  As I looked at his face, COVERED in chocolate we discussed:

me: Buddy, can you please take a look at your place mat?
p: Yea.
me: What are you seeing there that you aren't seeing at the other spots around the table?
p: Lots and lots of crumbs.
me: Yea.  I noticed your face is quite the mess as well. 
p:  Mom!  What do you want me to do?  Seriously! I just really enjoy my food, OK?

I love food too, so it was hard for me to continue in this conversation.  I simply told him after he was done "enjoying his food", he needed to remember to clean up.

And I hugged him because we share the common bond of food love.

At the breakfast table:
d: You know we only have a few days left before we are in Orlando at Harry Potter World!
p: I know!  I can't' wait.  Maybe we should watch 1 movie every night before we leave and then we will be all caught up.
d: Don't forget, we need to be reading the books, buddy. 
(Oh how I love that girl!)
p: I know, sister!  I'm already on book 4.  I'm reading the fastest I can, but I don't know if I'll get it all done before we leave.
d: Oh!  You can get it done.  You just have to make a commitment.  What I do is just plan to carve out about 4 hours a day and just commit to read during that time. 
p: You just read the whole time?
d: Yup.  It's the only way to get any amount of large reading done.
p: I don't know if I can read that long.  (Or stay still that long (Oh wait, those are my thoughts))
d: Well, you won't know if you don't try.

And upstairs they went.  Each to their own rooms.  It wasn't for four hours, but I'm not complaining about any amount of time of total peace.  Plus, seeing both of my babies with their noses in Harry Potter books made my heart swell just a little. 

Me.  Talking to myself.  Early in the morning this past Wednesday.  (Oh.  Don't act like you don't talk to yourself!)
me:  Just think.  This is the last lunch you are packing until August.   The VERY LAST ONE. 

That might have been the best conversation all week.



No comments: