Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Which my Blog Becomes a Photo Album

In my attempt to make sure that I am photographing my own children more, it seems as though I now have a lot of pictures to share.  Also, I am trying to be very intentional in how we spend our time this summer, since this winter was a total blur, and I now realize how precious our time is together.  So, about once a week, we have been going on little "field trips".   Being more intentional about taking photos + being intentional about how we spend our time = LOTS OF PICTURES OF OUR ADVENTURES.

On this, here, blog.

Since I can hardly wait to tackle the "Blogger photo Uploader Monster" let's get at it.

First up: The Fourth of July.

Yup, just a little behind.

The Little Man came up with the idea of going to a MLS game (that's Major League Soccer for all you non-sport watching types)  (Oh wait, that's me), and then watch the fireworks after the game.  I have to say, it was a great idea, and the firework show was probably the best I've ever seen.

Two thumbs up, Little Man!

We started with a dinner that is reserved for special occasions.  Not only because it's one of my most favorite burgers around, but because the calorie and fat count are so astronomical that it's a wonder we don't instantly clog an artery.

Look, all things good are going to cost ya, right?  That's why we like to practice moderation when it comes to Smash Burger. (Note: I think the look of pure pleasure is clearly written all over The Girl's face in this pic):























Back to pure goofiness:






















The man with the plan:






















You can't go to a game with out Dippen' Dots.  Plus, it was a little toasty out...even in the shade.




















While the game and the side show (see above photos) were fun, this is what I came for:






















It was after this night out that I was gifted with the whole family sleeping in until 9:45.  It all started in the car:

















The next day we enjoyed "hangin'" with our friends at the annual 4th of July picnic our church throws.
























That's all I got from that event as I spent the afternoon eating my own body weight in potato chips and french onion dip.  Hey, I was trying to make a healthier choice and avoid the hamburgers and hot dogs (I think I already mentioned the calorie count of the Smash Burger I so thoroughly enjoyed the night before).  Moderation, people, moderation.

Ahem.

Later that week, we headed a bit out of town and took a tour of the Celestial Seasonings Factory.  It was actually fairly interesting to see how they organized things, how all the machinery worked, and to see the mass amounts of tea.  Seriously, I never knew that much tea existed in all the world let alone just in this factory.  But our favorite parts, as if I have to tell you seeing as how I've already exposed you to my eating issues, was the free tea sampling.  We got to try all sorts of teas, hot and cold, and for free.  And not for free were some pretty amazing Biscotti.  Perfect.



















That's The Girl enjoying her tea time snack.  What?  You don't usually enjoy your tea with a bag of potato chips?  Well, if you had a peanut allergy, that might be the only thing you find that is safe.  So, you just roll with it.






















OK.  Here's the deal.  This is a working factory.  With food.  That other people eat.  There is no risking hair contamination.  The only thing funnier, was the men with the beard protectors AND hair nets.  Awesome.  (That's my mom.  She's been joining us for our little "field trips"  and I'm sure she's thrilled to see herself, hairnet and all, on the blog.  Way to be a good sport, Mom.)

















Some souvenirs.  If you know me in real life, you should ask me about my chap stick obsession.  These little beauties joined the collection, and I'm fairly certain that they are rare finds:






















Next up: The Aquarium.  Little factoid for ya: I've never been.  I know.  How many times have I been to the zoo or the museum?  Well, too many to count, but somehow I've passed up this place.  So, since it was our first time, you know there are going to be a TON of pics.  Here's what I whittled down to:

They each had a turn in the dive suit:























What's she looking at?















Oh!  Well, hello.























We went with our cousin, aunt, and our field trip buddy, grandma:






















I found out on this trip that The Little Man is fascinated by sharks.  So when we saw this guy swim up to the glass, after freaking out for a bit, he had to have his picture taken.  Not a great shot, but they swim fast.















"MOM!  LOOK A SHARK!" Considering we were at an aquarium, I heard this a few times today.






















The Girl taking in the hugeness of this fish:















 This picture just makes me laugh.  All three of them looking up into a tank:































Both kids were ecstatic to be able to touch a starfish.  The Little Man was proud of how brave he was.  Those starfish are frightening, I tell ya.
















MOM!  Look at this big fish with big teeth!















Oh, hi Mr Barracuda.  Nice of you to show us your teeth.
 















You too, Mr. Shark.

Jelly fish are so beautiful to me.
















The Girl was dying to get her pic taken with this fish.  I'm not sure why, I just obliged.















SHARKS!























Every once in a while we would see a large sea turtle swim by the glass.  This one came by just as I had my camera out, and like The Little Man, The Girl told me to quick take her pic with the turtle and sat down next to it.  It quickly swam away.  She then asked, "Did you get it? Did you get my picture with the sea turtle?"  As I took a look at the LCD, I just looked up and said, "Yup.  Sure did!  You're good to go!"















I think she totally had a silhouette in mind when she asked.

No comments: