Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Riveting Information

I have some food updates for everyone. 

I know you are on the edge of your seat.

Me too.

First, the kids.  They both are now eating cereal WITH milk.  Actually, they started with this in about April, but I honestly thought it was a fluke and they would go back to their dry cereal eating ways within weeks.

Or, when I bought some cereal in bulk that they swore they loved.

However, as we approach July, they are both still going strong with their love for cereal.   Their favorites are Cheerios.  They'll take either chocolate, honey nut, frosted, or plain.  I know, I know.  They are sugar-y cereals, but honestly? I have gotten to a place where I can be at peace with the fact that my kids choose to eat a bowl of  sugar-y cereal for a snack everyday.  I mean, it is a snack.  I've tried to tell them they can have it for breakfast, and sometimes they will indeed have it in the morning hours, but just not for breakfast.  We recently turned their whole world upside down when we suggested one night that cereal would be their dinner. GASP! 

Other cereals they have tried: Granola (it goes over OK), Rice Chex (The Girl digs them), Raisin Bran (no takers there),  Honey Sunshines (again The Girl only), and something similar to Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but organic and with a lot less sugar (only The Little Man will go for these). 

I'm telling you, it has opened up a whole new world in food land for us.  Also, The Little Man, he actually gets filled up with cereal, you know, as opposed to him asking for something else approximately thirty seconds after finishing his snack.

Good stuff!

Another new world in Food Land that might be creaking open it's door to us: Sandwiches.  Yes, my kids are five and seven and are just now eating sandwiches.  Here's the deal, there will be no PB&J served up in this homestead due to The Girl having a peanut allergy.  Secondly, I don't like lunch meat.  I have tried to make up some turkey and cheese sandwiches in the past for the kids, but when they didn't like it, it wasn't like I was going to say, "Well, here, look at Mommy!  She's eating her turkey sandwich.  MMMM! I sure love it!"  because that, my friends, would be a bold face lie.  Then, since I wouldn't eat any of the turkey, and they're not eating any of the turkey, I have to throw the turkey in the trash.  Shameful and wasteful.  So, the whole sandwich thing really never got off to a good start.

Recently, the kids have both started eating turkey sandwiches when they noticed friends at school were eating them in their lunches and loving them.  After The Girl declared she loved eating turkey sandwiches that a friend had brought for lunch, I thought I would give it a try again.   I am happy to say, they both devoured their sandwiches.

Again, another small step into making my life just that much easier.  It is still pretty delicate, though, and at any moment (read: if I buy turkey that costs more than $2.50) they will stop eating it all together. 

Now you know why I have been hesitant in sharing this news.

Lastly, on the "kids and food front", since The Little Man turned five, we have told him he is now allowed to chew gum.  He can only chew it if he keeps his mouth closed while chewing.  DO YOU KNOW HOW THIS HAS EFFECTED TRAVELING IN THE CAR AND SHOPPING?  It's big, people.  I sometimes forget he is with me, what, with all the silence.  Brilliant.

OK, I too have a new love affair with food.  It's Greek yogurt.  I know, it's not a new product, but it's new to me.  I had been desperate for something to curb all my after four o'clock snacking.  I knew I needed protein, but wasn't sure how to get it with out cooking up a big ol' chicken breast (OK, that's a bit dramatic, but you know what I am saying, right?)  Anywho,  Greek yogurt fits the bill perfectly. So yummy, so smooth, so fat free, so full of protein.  Perfect.  I just slice me up some fresh fruit or put in some organic fruit spread, mix it all up, and enjoy!  If I really want to splurge, I go for this one here.  The peach flavor just does it for me like no other.  It, however, is not fat free.  Bummer.  The 0% ones are good too, though.  Plus, right on the container, they tell you how to say the brand name.  Brilliant...because I'm not.

OK. 

I'm starving now.

Aren't you so glad you are all caught up?

No comments: