Saturday, March 30, 2013

Love Wins

As I walked into the room, there were eight of them.  Girls? No, they are too old to be referred to as girls.  Women?  No way.  Too young.  Young ladies? I don't know.  That doesn't seem to fit either.  It's certainly not what society would call them.  Young ladies carries the connotation that these girls are proper, well behaved, clean cut, gentle spirited, maybe even refined.  I'm not sure I'd use even one of those words to describe these eight, but it's hard to tell in here.  This place where they all wear orange.  This place where they must act infinitely more callous and guarded than any girl actually is or should have to be.  The wounds they carry are already bone deep.

Yet, here they all are.  And here I am.

I've never been here with a group this large.  Usually, when I come only one or two is interested in what I have to share.  The rest do what they do.  I've even been scowled and hissed at.  This time, all but one sit and wait for me. 

Introductions are made, some small talk ensues, and we all try to get comfortable.  Physically and emotionally.  I think we all feel a little raw.  In the rawness, I open up a balm.  I've learned it's the only balm of it's kind.  100% effectiveness.  It soaks into the places you never thought anything could reach, soothes aches you didn't know existed, and it brings a healing that leaves you better than new.  It breathes life.  It is life.  Life in words.  The Word.

They want to know how I know these "stories" are true.  How can I be so sure?  There are so many other theories.  We work through the doubts and skeptical questions.  We try to figure out all the angles.

They want impenetrable proof.

Then I tell them that the proof is when the truth lives in them.  When you allow Him in something happens.  The transformation is inexplicable, yet you completely understand.  You are free.  Your past disappears.  You no longer live under a continuous, low-lying, black cloud.  A strong wind has blown and magnificently cleared the air.  A new power is in operation.  The Spirit of life.

I tell them they will know it's truth because they will feel the freedom of choice.  No longer having to only act and react in the same ways that have previously caused chaos, wounds, and death.  Now they will have a choice. And with that choice, a source of strength that allows them to make choices that are beyond what they are capable of.  Beyond what they would even dream of.  Choices that bring peace, love, and life.   They will be free to take off their old ways, and put on new ways.

Lastly, I tell them they will know because not only will they feel love, they will freely give it.  That not only will they live in forgiveness they, themselves, will be able give, in trust and in understanding.  Trusting that they are loved and forgiven, and understanding of who we all really are.

The impenetrable truth will be them.  It will be their lives.  It will be how they live.  That's how we know.   There are no conspiracy theories that can change the truth of which they will live.  It will be theirs.  Something all their own.

Nervously, I ask if any of the eight would like to pray with me, asking for the Spirit of life to take residence in their hearts.  In this place, many don't like that question.  It's far too vulnerable.   At first it was two.  Then it was four.  And as we bowed our heads to the One who makes all things new, I hear seven of them pray out loud with me.

And that's how I know it's truth.  I've seen it.  I've lived it.  I've watched as He works.  Right in front of my eyes, he has made beauty from ashes.  Taken death and turned it into life.  

They are older than girls, but not quite yet women.  Their new names are, Daughters of the One True King. 

1 comment:

Robin said...

That's amazing, Mandie! I love hearing about how He is using you. Praise God for new life in Him!