Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One Word

Since all the hype about New Year's Resolutions has somewhat quieted down, I thought now would be a good time to share my One Word for the New Year.  Hey, at least it's still January, which is better than I did last year.  It's all about improvement.

I love choosing one word instead of listing off a whole list of things I hope to do or not to do.  It's about having one word that will encompass my entire year.  The one thing I want to focus on and grow in the most.  It's going to be a bit deeper than "Getting into the habit of drinking eight, eight ounce, glasses of water a day".  (Which is totally on my list of things to do this year, by the way.)  No, this is more about changing who I am as a person in my heart, and growing closer to God.

In the past two years that I have done this, I feel like there was transformational growth in my heart.  The first year, I chose the word "Others".  I was hoping to grow a heart that was more "Others focused" and less "Me focused".  God opened my eyes in many different ways to the way others live, hurt, need, love, worship, give, and serve.   The world around me really opened up as I took my eyes off of myself and looked at others instead.

Last year, the word I chose was "Still".  I have to laugh at that now.  I can't begin to tell you all the different ways that God taught me how to be still last year, but it began with Him lovingly forcing our family, and our way of life, to a complete and total halt.  We were plain shut down.  We could do nothing but be still.  But in the stillness, we learned so much about God.  How He loves, provides, and carries.  We learned about His strength, sovereignty, and power.  I would have missed all of it had I not been forced to be still.  When I first chose that word, it was because I thought I needed rest.  I felt like I needed a break from life.  You know, like a coffee break or a vacation.  While our lives became a crazy ride, I let go of many things I was holding on to way too tightly.  Things that wore me out.  Things that took away peace.  Things that kept me from rest, and in letting go, I rested.  In the stillness, He was my complete and perfect rest.

Now that I have two years of the One Word Challenge under my belt, I know what an impact choosing one word can be.  So, I did not take this on lightly this year.  I spent time in prayer, and really spent time searching my heart.  I learned so much in our crazy last year.  I came to a whole new understanding of what it means to be sustained by God, and how God strengths can be made perfect in my weaknesses.  I have never had to rely on God the way I had to this past year, and in that complete surrender, I was able to do more.  I was stronger.  I was more capable.   I also learned how to be OK with the fact that, on my own, I will fall short.  It's just the hardcore truth. 

This year, I am ready.  I feel like I've rested, and I'm ready to tackle this new year.  I want to scream, "BRING IT ON!"  Except, this time, I don't say that thinking that I am going to do much on my own.  No, this time I say it knowing I can't.  Instead, I will be solely relying on God.  So, what is my word?  It's "Reckless". 

This year, I want to be "Reckless" in the way I love.  I want to love the people around me with a reckless love that can only come from our Savior.  A love that isn't concerned with loving only if it's fair.  A love that loves even if it might not be returned.  A love that might get broken and bleed.  A love that isn't earned or deserved.  On my own this kind of love would be scary, heartbreaking, impossible, and down right nuts.  But when this love is the love that overflows from my heart, and whose source is Christ, it's a different love.  This is Christ's love.  A love that is patient, and kind. A love that does not envy or boast, and isn't proud.  A love that is not easily angered, and keeps no records of wrong.  A love that protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres.   A love that never fails. (1Corin 13:4-8)   This isn't my love.  It's impossible for me to love like this.  This love is the perfect and sacrificial love of Christ.  A love that is to be shared. 

Recklessly. 

This year I want to recklessly love my husband, kids, and family members.  But I don't want to stop there because that would be comfortable, not reckless.  I want to continue beyond my comfort zone and love those in my neighborhood, church, school community, and city.  And like a ripple in water, I want to reach further.  I want to recklessly love those that have wronged me, those who don't get a second look, and those who don't know love at all, in hopes that they too may experience the love of Christ themselves.



This song says it all.

"Bring your love to life inside of me
Why don’t you break my heart ’til it moves my hands and feet

For the hopeless and the broken
for  the ones that don’t know that you love them
Bring your love to life inside of me.

Love come to life, bring love to life inside of me."-Big Daddy Weave, Love Come to Life

1 comment:

Robin said...

Beautiful, Mandie! I love your heart and can't wait to hear about what God teaches you in this year of recklessness.