Saturday, December 26, 2009

Wrapping Up Christmas

Yes, that put was intended.

I wish I could say that we are all put back together from our Christmas celebration, but that would be a big fat lie. So in the spirit of being honest, I will admit, our house still resembles the aftermath of a bomb explosion. Instead of spending some time cleaning today, I ran, ran errands, and sat under my new Snuggie for the rest of the night. I have a feeling that the Snuggie could be responsible for many a lazy nights around here.

Although, I guess the sleeves might allow me to get some work done.

Nah.

I have to admit, I am sad to see Christmas gone already. It seems like it went so fast! I mean one minute we were eating a Turkey dinner at Thanksgiving, and then the next Santa had arrived and we were tearing into gifts and stuffing our faces again. Thankfully, I did have some time in between to finally get into the Christmas Season, and what it is really about.

I thought a TON about Mary this year. I don't know why, I just couldn't get her off my mind. Maybe because I am a mom too? What would it have been like to be her? Why did God choose her? Was she scared out of her mind? What was it like for her to know that she was the mother of the Son of God? These were the questions that I couldn't stop thinking about.

God was gracious to me by showing me so many attributes of Mary, a woman that had "Found favor with God" (Luke 1:30). He showed me that she was obedient, humble, and thankful woman who fully relied on God in all circumstances.

I thought about what I do when God asks me to do things I think are too hard, too big, or not within my own capacity. Do I say, "I am the Lord's servant", and "May it be to me as you have said"? (Luke 1:38). Not only that, but do I say it THE FIRST TIME he asks? Or do I operate out of fear because I feel as though the things He asks me to do I must do with my own strength, and all alone? Maybe I am not even a tiny bit afraid. Instead I am just too selfish to obey.

Of course, God did not ask Mary to be the mother of Jesus not knowing what she would say. He didn't go into it with a list of alternative choices just in case she said no. He asked her because He knew she would say "I am the Lord's servant". Why did he know this (aside from, you know, being God)? He knew this because this was who she was BEFORE she was called.

Sometimes I hear other people talk about how God has used them in a mighty way. I get so inspired and I think to myself, "I would like God to use me in a mighty way!" Then I wonder, "Why hasn't God used me in a mighty way?" Who have I been up to this point in time? Am I "May it be as you have said" type of a girl, or have I been the "Other Girl"?

She had to be scared out of her mind. Not just in the beginning when Gabriel first appeared to her and told her what was to happen, but through out the entire pregnancy, the labor and delivery, the child rearing days, all of it. It all had to be completely terrifying. She was pregnant before she was married, and not only had to break the news to her family, but to Joseph who was to be her husband. This type of thing wasn't just frowned upon, women DIED because of this sin. Follow that up with the fact that she was responsible for raising and protecting God's only son. Need I say more? Although she must have been terrified, she fully commits herself to God. Relying on Him only for her strength, comfort, and protection.

Where do I go when I am scared? Who do I turn to when I think I might not be strong enough? What to I depend on when I feel like I need a little more protection?

Then I think about what it must have been like when Jesus was born. All the shepherds that came along with the Magi. These people who came and didn't just say, "Oh my. What a cute little guy you have there!" These were people she had never met, some of these people where of very high standing. They didn't comment on how cute her new baby was. No, they fell to their knees and worshiped him. When Mary heard and saw these things she "Treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." (Luke 2:19). She wasn't boastful. She didn't take the credit. She didn't gush and gush over it. She took it all in and humbly treasured it in her heart.

What is it like in my life when God does something fantastic and beautiful for me or through me? Do I wrongfully take the credit? Do I boast about what I think are my own strengths? Worse yet, do I just brush them aside like its no big deal? Or do I treasure them in my heart?

Mary knew that she was being used powerfully by God and that she was His servant. Not only did she obey Him, remain humble, and completely rely on Him in her times of weakness, but she was full of praise and thanksgiving. While visiting her Aunt Elizabeth, who was currently pregnant with John the Baptist, Elizabeth's baby "leaped in her womb" upon Elizabeth hearing Mary's voice (Luke 1:40). After learning of this Mary sings a song to the Lord of thanksgiving: "46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
50His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55to Abraham and his descendants forever,
even as he said to our fathers." (Luke 46:55)

Do I show thankfulness and praise to God? Do I say it out loud? When He works mightily in my life or hears/answers even the smallest of prayers, am I thankful? Do I call these things "Praiseworthy"? Or to I have a greedy heart, forget the thank you's and the praise, and just skip right on down my "Want List"? When was the last time I ran down the list of answered prayers with a song of praise? A prayer full of thankfulness and praise.

I am so thankful for the time I had to spend thinking about Mary. God showed me so much about myself. Although the timing is perfect for New Year's Resolutions, I won't wait that long.

Merry Christmas!

Oh! As if this post wasn't long enough, to go along with this, here is my favorite Christmas song this year. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We just completed a sermon series called "What would Mary Do?" and it was amazing! Almost exactly what you shared. I got so much out of it. Here I tend to whine that I don't have enough, or that I have too much to do and she was so....perfectly where and who God wanted her to be. Her essence was so Godly. I want to be more like Mary too! You bless me with your insights. Thank you! P.S. That is my favorite song!!!