Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Birth of a New Year AND a Birthday Party

I am sitting in complete and total silence. Not the kind of silence that comes when everyone is in bed, but the kind of silence that comes when everyone is GONE. It will be short lived, that is for sure, but right now it feels great.

This week has totally blown by in the blink of an eye. I totally think that statement is "the" statement of 2009. I. Can. Not. Keep. Up. I was so hoping that there would be a week this year where I would get so bored that I could hardly wait for the next week to get here.

It never happened.

I had high hopes for this last week of 2009. It has been great, but boring would not sum it up. Next year, I will be praying for comfort, peace, and contentment in this busy season of life. Enjoying every moment, and not finding myself longing for something different. Content to be where I am. Content in the busy, content in the crazy, content in the chaos, and if it just so happens, content in the quiet and peaceful.

I never intended on writing about any sort of New Year's resolution, but there. I guess that would be it.

Actually, I wanted to write about the crazy that has been this week. This week we decided to throw The Girl's birthday party. If that sounds like we just came upon that idea at the last minute, its because we did. Earlier in the month, I discussed with The Girl some birthday party options. She has been obsessed with sleepovers this past year. When can she have one, when can she go to one, and so and so always has sleepovers. I, myself, am not to keen on the idea. I think she is still a little too young. Sleepovers with grandmas sound like the perfect place to me for right now.

As the Holiday season grew nearer and nearer and with that The Girl's 7th birthday, I was starting to get a little agitated about the idea of throwing a birthday party together in the middle of all the chaos. So, I came up with a little plan. I proposed that The Girl had two choices. She could either have a big birthday party, like in years past, with all her friends from school and church, or she could have a small sleepover with cousins and a best friend.

Of course she picked the sleepover.

This meant no planning weeks ahead of time during the busy Christmas time. Just a few days ahead of time, I called up the moms of the girls that she was inviting over and arranged a date and a time. That was it.

Oh, I did spend some time organizing a craft for them to work on and take home.

Other than that. I was done.

The Girl had a GREAT time.

Here are some pics to prove it:

Here she is on the way to meet her friends at the movie theater. The flick for the evening was Disney's Princess and the Frog. Super cute.


The girls out at dinner after the flick. The restaurant of choice by the birthday girl was fine dining at Chile's:


After spending TWO HOURS working on their craft (a craft that takes that engages kids for that long is PERFECTION in my world), here the girls are showing off the fruits of their labor:


All snuggled up for bed:

HA! I wish. They were in bed, but actually did not got to sleep until the wee hours of the morn. That is what sleepovers are all about, right?

Of course, the next morning, there was a pillow fight:


I was shocked at how smoothly it all went. The girls all got along (for some reason I was freaking out about the girls being mean to one another. I must watch too many "tween" shows and movies.), and before I knew it, parents were here to pick up their girls.

I have to admit, although the whole point of having a small sleepover was to avoid the hassle of planning/organizing/paying for a large birthday party, I somehow feel like we are missing something when I think about the fact that the 7th birthday party is done and over with. It feels weird to be done. To be off the hook so easy. I almost feel like I cheated The Girl out of a birthday party, out of all the birthday fun.

But then I think back to how exhausted I was the next day, and I am back to feeling OK with it.

That quiet time I had at the beginning of this post? It has come to a screeching halt.

Just in the nick of time.

Happy New Year!

No comments: